Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Green Hour Challenges - #1

I found this blog called Handbook Of Nature Study where they host a weekly outdoor hour challenge. I thought that it sounded like fun, I love to be outside, but I often get so wrapped up in cleaning house, taking care of the baby, trying to get stuff done on the computer, etc, etc, that I forget to go OUTSIDE!

I introduced this idea to the kids today, and they thought it was a great idea. I haven't finished the assigned reading (the Mom gets homework, the kids get to have fun) but it was Wednesday (we do science on Wednesday) so we went outside. I didn't get to explore much, I was sitting on the lawn with MaryAnn though. We also can't find the camera, so no pictures today, although the kids really wanted me to take pictures of them in the walnut tree.

Challenge #1

Today's discoveries:
MaryAnn rolled over and discovered the grass.
Rebecca gathered several parts of a walnut tree - a twig, a leaf, a hull, a walnut shell, and broken walnut shells.
Emily found a seed pod off a huge tree in our yard.
Isaac decided that our grapes aren't ripe yet.

To Investigate
Walnut Trees and how to harvest walnuts
Grapes - what kind do we have, when will they be ripe, what to do with them when they are?

1 comment:

Barb said...

This was a great first nature study. I love the things you picked to learn more about.

I look forward to reading more posts in the future.

Thanks for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online