Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Green Challenge #1 Research

We have a large walnut tree in the back yard, we discovered today that the walnuts are falling out of the husks. We picked up a few and I decided I had better find out how to harvest them so that we(I) can enjoy eating them.

I'm just listing the helpful links that I found - that way my kids can explore and learn on their own later this week.

Black or English Walnut?
Black Walnut Tree

Harvesting Walnuts - Harvesting Walnuts


We have another huge tree - it has very long seed pod and gigantic leaves. Grandma Mackley just came in and when I told her what I was doing she asked if I could find out what kind of tree that huge one was with the white blossoms. I don't remember the blossoms, so its a good thing that Grandma does. I found these three great websites for identifying trees. I'm sure that the kids will have fun identifying them later this week.

Identifying Trees #1


Identifying Trees # 2 at Arbor Day Foundation

Identifying Trees # 3

I'm so glad that we have decided to participate in this challenge, I've learned a lot already!

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online